Tuesday, June 24, 2008

- Dragon's Lair (Blu-ray)

Dragon's Lair (Blu-ray)
This BluRay version is INCREDIBLE. I have read some of the reviews that people have posted so far, but I find they are quite innacurate.

First of all, it LOOKS amazing. It is crystal clear, and in widescreen format. I don't have a surround sound set up, but it sounds great through stereo. It DOES have the little BEEP and BOOP sounds to let you know if you did the right action, just like the arcade.

Secondly, the concerns of the first reviewers are pretty inaccurate, because their complaints can be fixed by adjusting the 6 or 7 settings that can completely change the gameplay experience. I haven't gone through all of them, but here is what I have found so far:

HOME vs ARCADE: I haven't gone in depth yet, but when I had it on Arcade mode, it didn't start at the moat/drawbridge scene. On Home mode it DOES start there, which is how I'm used to it, so that is how I have it set. I assume that there are other differences in scene order, although aside from the beginning scene, the scenes are random.

EASY vs HARD I starded the game on easy, and it seems like you don't really have to bother that much with timing, and it is more forgiving with mistakes. Hard is VERY time specific, and you can't really make many mistakes before hitting the right button, just like the original. Fantastic. I'm getting my butt kicked. :)

SIGNALS You have an option to turn on visual clues. Haven't bothered with this yet.

There are some other settings like unlimited lives verses 5 lives, and other stuff I don't remember at the moment, but basically they drastically change the playing experience. You can tweak it to be exactly like the Arcade, or maybe taylor it more to the version you like best.

Somebody claimed that the game was not true to the arcade version because if you failed a level, it just skipped it and you never would get to try it again. Well that reviewer jumped the gun because although it skips it right after you die, you eventually must come back to all the levels you died on, and it will NOT let you pass the second time until you finally get them right. This is true when it is on HOME mode at least, but I haven't played it on ARCADE mode enough to know how it handles failed levels.

The timing between clips is great on my PS3. About 95% of the time there is no pauses or anything, but usually, on the scenes where you make a mistake, there is a slight, split second pause before the death scene.

This is the best version of the game available. It made my whole week better just being able to play it in all of it's glory.

No comments:

Popular Posts